Sunday, November 23, 2008

Some Assembly Required

Season Two, Episode Two


11/22/08

Happy Thanksgiving, Hellmouthers! SHE is excited about all the pie coming around the bend while HE is thrilled at the prospect of not being around teenagers for four straight days. In this episode, we learn about how to pick up a techno-pagan, the multifarious uses for a cake pan, and the dread implications of “doing the wacky.”

On the Hunt



SHE: 3, 2, 1…everyone can sneak up on Buffy! I haven’t snuck up on Buffy yet, but we still have five seasons to go.
HE: This is the first time Angel gets the drop on Buffy. He’s been notoriously unable to do that. Everybody else has.
SHE: That’s true.




SHE: Cool with the shovel.
HE: Question. How did that shovel get dusted? Did the shovel belong to him?
SHE: I didn’t notice that. The same reason their clothes get dusted? There’s obviously some combustion going on and the other stuff gets burned up really fast.
HE: But not jewelry. At least, not all the time. Only when the plot calls for it.
SHE: Whedon’s universe is selective and unpredictable.

HE: I like when Angel says, “Whenever we fight, you always bring up the vampire thing.” It’s like it’s no big deal, really. It’s just a bias Buffy needs to get over already.
SHE: Like he’s Mexican or something. Maybe he really does think their differences are superficial.
HE: You can’t be serious.
SHE: He can’t exactly be sane anymore. He’s 241 years old. He’s obviously lost perspective.



Grave Robbing



<
HE: Giles practicing on his pickup lines…
SHE: With his back to the door. That never will end well.
HE: I happen to like the word indecorous. I don’t see the problem.
SHE: You never use the word indecorous.
HE: I think it’s highly indecorous for you to suggest I never use the word indecorous.
SHE: You’re not being amenable.
HE: Amenable to what?
SHE: Your…indecoriety? Is that a word?
HE: It is now.

HE: Librarian…that embarrassing fact.
SHE: I didn’t know we were embarrassed by librarians.
HE: Are you embarrassed to be a librarian?
SHE: Nope.
HE: ‘Cause I think it’s really hot. All those books and that shushing.








HE: Mr. Korshak was the name of the vampire? Oh! oh oh oh oh, Mr. Kotter!
SHE: Not Horshack. Korshak.
HE: Oh.



Daryl



SHE: “Love makes you do the wacky.”
HE: Did that pearl strike you as a little bit forced?
SHE: No. Seems like something a teenager would say.
HE: No teenager I know.
SHE: Well, you see them all day every day. It makes sense in TV world.
HE: “No one should have to do anything educational in school if they don’t want to.” Now that sounds like something I would hear.
SHE: I wonder what she was going to do to prove a tomato was a fruit or a vegetable.
HE: What would you do? It’s not like they could go on Wikipedia.
SHE: It wasn’t invented yet. This episode made me feel old. Eric snaps the photos. He develops the photos. He hangs up the photos.
HE: Oh my god! You just made me feel old, too! Thanks a lot! Of course, I didn’t really get into photography until after the digital age anyway.
SHE: I know how to use a 35mm.
HE: The fact that you know how to use a 35mm is probably the equivalent of running a nuclear sub in today’s techno-world.

HE: What’s with “yearbook nerds don’t come out of hibernation until spring”?
SHE: Apparently they only work on their yearbook in the spring.
HE: As a yearbook faculty adviser, I take exception to this portrayal of yearbook people.
SHE: Well, librarians are “embarrassing,” so I’m not going to back you up there.

HE: Why doesn’t Buffy dig the hole? She could have had the whole thing dug by now.
SHE: I thought it was funny. “I’m an old-fashioned gal. I was raised to believe that men dig up the corpses and women have the babies.” I also love the fact that no one ever patrols the cemetery. You see cars go by, but no one stops to say, “Hey, stop shoveling.”
HE: I don’t think too much of Sunnydale civic pride.
SHE: Yes, they’re rather jaded.



Cheerleader Fear



HE: Dang, Cordelia. What does she do here--drop the keys, then kick them under the car?
SHE: I recognized Angel’s shoes. Is that bad?
HE: I don’t know how to interpret that. But seriously, what kind of idiot kicks the keys under the car?
SHE: This is why she makes good bait. She’s the catalyst for action in every episode.

HE: When Cordelia climbs out of the dumpster, at least she didn’t say, “Give me a hand, would ya?”
SHE: That would have seemed a little bit cutesy.
HE: I would have said it.
SHE: Of course you would have.

HE: Hee hee. “Why are terrible things always happening to me?”
SHE: As she lays her head on Angel’s shoulder. Poor Cordelia!
HE: Cordy looked back to see if Xander was watching. Did you notice that?
SHE: No, I did not. Interesting.



The Perfect Girl



HE: I was intrigued by the idea of techno-pagan pick-up lines.
SHE: Do you have any?
HE: Why, yes, I do. For instance, “Your body makes me press alt-control-delete.”
SHE: You’re nutty.
HE: “Is that an Orb of Thessala in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?”
SHE: Waah waah waah.
HE: “If I told you that you had a lot of RAM, would you let me wave my magic bone over it?”
SHE: Oh, God. Can we move on?
HE: That’s a nice outfit Jenny’s wearing.

SHE: Sweet! Giles got a date!
HE: Jenny loves the football! Whatever it is you want to tell me, you can tell me over sex!
SHE: That conversation did not happen. These are responsible adults.
HE: Giles may be a responsible adult, but I think Jenny is kind of wild.
SHE: They’re very compatible in the fact that they’re completely opposite.
HE: I mean, come on. Pagan plus piercings plus gypsy plus attracted to football…
SHE: Equals what?
HE: Can’t you see my eyebrows going up and down? The universal sign of wicka wicka waah?



Getting a Head



HE: Come on, someone pay attention to Xander and his skull jokes already!
SHE: All he does in this episode is make jokes.
HE: I feel bad for him. And that never happens.

SHE: I think they should have used Buffy’s head.
HE: No, it would have looked strange on that body. Too small.
SHE: Like one of your Photoshop attempts?
HE: Okay, that’s just mean.

HE: I got a little freaked out when Eric used the phrase, “the whole package.”
SHE: Why?
HE: I’m hoping that these girls don’t have packages, otherwise Eric and Chris are creepier than I thought.
SHE: Eww!
HE: Thank you very much. I’ll be here all week!



Chris’s Promise



SHE: Why is it that the Bud Bundy look-a-like is more evil?
HE: I think it’s the velvet pullover he’s wearing.
SHE: That makes him evil?
HE: Evil for wearing it.
SHE: I think Daryl’s issue is who stitched him up. He looks terrible. Slap some foundation on him, get that metal out of him, and send him to some speed dating.
HE: Give him a break. He smells really bad, I’m sure.
SHE: He needs a complete Beauty Control consultation.
HE: I can’t believe you just plugged them on our blog.
SHE: He could go to my beauty page and order online.
HE: Stop it!



Musical Interlude:
Rob Zombie's "Superbeast"






Looking for Chris



HE: The mother is creepy. She reminds me of that one cartoon lady with all the cats. Like on an old person’s coffee mug.
SHE: The one in the housecoat that’s always smoking?
HE: Yeah! That’s the one. She totally freaks me out on a very visceral level. I can’t explain it.

HE: Here’s Chris and Buffy. Would that have counted as a sneak-up? I can’t believe a zombie almost got the drop on her.
SHE: You’d think she would have smelled him or something.



The Chosen One



SHE: Cordelia shouldn’t be in the locker room. Locker room=death.
HE: For all the times she’s been in the locker room, I have been greatly disappointed by the lack of brassiere shots.
SHE: She was putting on lipstick.
HE: I suppose that’ll have to do. I never get what I want.

SHE: Great kick Buffy gives Eric.
HE: How exactly did Eric survive that kick? She must have held back.
SHE: Didn’t she get him in the head?
HE: Anyway, Buffy saves Cordelia. Everything back to normal.

HE: Whoa…Cordelia’s the apex. She’s not a fatty, but why is she on top?
SHE: Must you ask?
HE: Bear with me. The tiny ones go on top. Everybody knows that.



Daryl’s Desire



HE: Daryl’s got post-mortem rage.
SHE: Everyone once loved him, and now he’s all alone.
HE: Check that. Daryl’s got post-mortem depression.
SHE: His head looks like a football. If your head looked like a stitched-up football, you’d be a mess, too.
HE: I wonder if Joss did that on purpose.

HE: “Unadorned aggression,” says Jenny. This is what I’m talking about. Oh yeah, she gets around.
SHE: I don’t think she gets around. I think she just understands the aggression.
HE: She’s a wild child. I’m telling you.

HE: Dang, Giles bought a ton of shit. He can’t even carry it all.
SHE: He has no arms to make out with.
HE: Then Willow and Xander show up. You know there’s a phrase for that—
SHE:: Don’t say it.




HE: For a second there I thought we were going to have an upskirt of Cordy. Got excited.
SHE: You got excited?
HE: Then it turns out she’s just going to the Gatorade hidden underneath the bleachers. Why would you put the Gatorade underneath the bleachers? It makes no sense.
SHE: It makes kidnapping the cheerleaders easier. A-duh!



Brawling



HE: Hey Eric, not the most efficient way to disconnect a head! Use the bonesaw, for Pete’s sake!
SHE: What was with the cake pan? What were they going to do with the cake pan? It made me think of that movie from the ‘50s where the husband kept the wife’s head alive, and her head sat in a cake pan. Do you know the one I’m thinking of?
HE: The Thing That Wouldn’t Die. Of course I remember it! An MST3K classic!



HE: I can’t believe Eric managed to throw that knife without hurting himself.
SHE: I can’t believe he got it in the vicinity of Buffy so she could catch it. I was sure it was going to land in the ceiling.
HE: Well, maybe those yearbook nerds have something going for them after all. We throw a mean knife.


HE: And Cordelia saved by Buffy once again! Twice in one episode. I don’t give credit for this save to Xander.
SHE: No, it was Buffy. Although Cordelia has a nice scream.
HE: “Scream all you want.” Okay, don’t. Okay, now I’m going to hit you with a cake pan until you shut up.



Daryl’s Demise



SHE: With Chris’s theological issues, he needs churching up. Playing God, ladeda-de-dah.
HE: What’s so bad about wanting to be the one who decides who lives and who dies?
SHE: No one is supposed to decide that, sweetie.
HE: What, just leave it up to chance? That’s pretty irresponsible.
SHE: Irresponsible…?
HE: That’s right. You’ve got nothing.

HE: Nice you finally showed up, Angel…so were you at the game? Did you enjoy it? Good win, huh?
SHE: In this scene, we see how Cordelia is going to have her work cut out for her if she gets with Xander.
HE: The odd thing here is, Xander isn’t even preoccupied with thoughts of Buffy in this scene. So Cordy is playing second-fiddle to what…?
SHE: Xander’s neuroses? His innate lack of self-worth?
HE: In any case, Xander just blew Cordy off.



Crazy Stuff



HE: “Love makes you do the wacky.” Kind of a trite, forced comment. Makes for a meh ending.
SHE: What’s so wrong with it?
HE: What’s wrong with it? The lesson is that love makes you do stupid stuff, right? And how was that demonstrated, exactly? Chris loved his brother, okay, but he turned on him in the end…Daryl didn’t want to be alone, but he didn’t do anything other than bully his brother and his friends…Giles and Jenny, I get that, but he was a subplot…Buffy and Angel…their doomed love affair kind of peripheral this episode…
SHE: Well, that’s just what you take away from it. Love makes you do the wacky.
HE: And the “do the wacky” part. It makes me think of someone having sex with a clown.
SHE: You need a beating.
HE: Honk, honk!




Next time: Season Two continues with “School Hard.”
Oh, and by the way,

SPIKE!

No comments: