Friday, August 22, 2008

Angel

“Angel”
8/22/08

In this episode, Angel and Buffy kiss for the first time, Angel reveals his big secret, and the Renaissance Faire comes to Sunnydale. Also, the Master runs out of ideas.

The Master’s Next Move




HE: Here’s that idiot kid Collin throwing pebbles in the Master’s pool…what’s that all about?
SHE: Creepy kid!
HE: I hate him. “I’d annihilate her.” Geez, annihilate the slayer. How innovative! Why didn’t they think of that before?

SHE: Nice misdirection here. Watch the human three run away from the other three! Look, three tough guys! No no, it’s this other three!
HE: The three look like they belong in the Renaissance Faire.
SHE: Prithee, watchest how I slay yonder vampire with my poleaxe!
HE: Heh heh. You said “pole.”

Prithee, watchest how I slay yonder vampire with my poleaxe!


HE: Xander’s dancing looks like an epileptic fit. Like Elaine Benes.
SHE: Only better. No, more sugar induced.
HE: On the other hand, Cordelia does look like a hooker in that dress.
SHE: You like the dress, don’t you, sweetie?
HE: You think she’s expensive?




Guardian Angel



SHE: Nice kick. Running is a sign that the fight is going badly.
HE: I like the Knight Rider chase music in this scene. Very Tangerine Dream.
SHE: He leaves that behind, doesn’t he? In the later episodes, the music changes.
HE: It shows its age.


HE: The knowing wink, the nod…oh Joyce!
SHE: Doesn’t Buffy ever worry when her mother isn’t home?
HE: She’s the slayer. She thinks she’s invulnerable.
SHE: The slayer’s mother is invulnerable?
HE: Oh, I thought you meant worried her mother was going to barge in. But in both cases, apparently no.




Roommates



SHE: Angel’s eager to get up those stairs.
HE: He doesn’t waste any time. Buffy tells him to turn his back while she changes…Angel is no Xander!
SHE: I’m a little surprised she doesn’t have a beauty regimen before bed.
HE: That is curious. I knew a girl in summer camp I swear she must have hung like a bat at night her hair was so big.
SHE: It’s called Aquanet, babe.


SHE: “Wake up and smell the seduction.” Hee hee.
HE: You like that line?
SHE: It’s true, you can smell sex.
HE: Thank you for that. She was accosted by “three unusually virile vampires,” as Giles put it.
SHE: That was kind of yucky.




The Three



SHE: Another misdirection. We think he’s maybe not going to kill the three. But he is.
HE: Well, with power comes responsibility. Just like Spiderman. How do you think Spiderman would do in a fight with the Master?
SHE: He’d win. The Spiderman would just shoot him with the web. Done and done.




Advanced Training



SHE: It gets sad watching Giles get beat up all the time.
HE: I like how dismissive Buffy is toward his fighting skills. “I’m not going to need pads to fight you,” she says. And she’s not going to be fighting Friar Tuck. Say, who do you think would win in a fight, Spiderman or Friar Tuck?
SHE: Again, I’m going to go with Spiderman. Who would win in a fight between Spiderman and Giles?
HE: I believe Spiderman would lock Giles up in the library cage. Along with a note that said “Courtesy of your Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman.”




The Demon Lover



HE: They kiss! And Angel vamps out! It HAS been a long time.
SHE: How much older? Stop kissing and tell me!
HE: What did you think about the kissing?
SHE: Made me want to do some kissing.
HE: That can be arranged. Who do you think would win in a kiss contest, Angel or Spiderman?
SHE: I think the mask is a disadvantage.




Like One of Them



SHE: I hate it when Xander explains things.
HE: At least it takes attention away from his ugly-ass shirt.
SHE: We need to get a scorecard. How many has it been now?
HE: Too many to count. I think he made this one of a curtain. A ugly-ass curtain. What did you think about Cordelia’s Todd Oldham dress?
SHE: Not really into polka dot anything. I kind of like it when Cordelia gives people a hard time.
HE: I also like it when Cordelia gives people a hard time.
SHE: Of course you do.

HE: It looks like Angel is staying at the Ramada.
SHE: Nice pad. A little cementy for my tastes.
HE: Darla does not look bad in the Catholic school girl uniform, I must say.

SHE: Plus she really knows how to frame an argument. Very persuasive. And distracting.
HE: It’s a classic. I love her raspy voice.
SHE: Did you notice that Darla speaks with a lisp when she vamps out?
HE: You’d think she’d have gotten used to those fangs in 400 years.




Angelus



HE: Giles says Angel is a “vicious, violent animal.” Harsh.
SHE: I have a feeling Giles says that about all the vampires.
HE: Yeah, he’s kind of a bigot.




Darla’s Plan



I’ve got nothing. You have a go at it.


HE: So the plan is to get Angel to kill Buffy and come back to the fold?
SHE: I’m not sure how well thought-out this plan is. That’s asking a lot.
HE: I’m guessing the Master is really out of ideas at this point, since he’s letting his minions have a crack at it. He probably said, “I’ve got nothing. You have a go at it.”

HE: How come Buffy didn’t sense Darla in the library? She’s usually very good at that kind of thing.
SHE: She’s distracted. You know, Darla looks through a lot of windows in this episode.
HE: She’s a peeping demon.




Invitation to a Vampire



HE: “It’s very nice of you to invite me into your home” Nice delivery on that line.
SHE: Very fraught with verbal irony. Do you catch that, honey?
HE: Yes, I did pick up on that.




To Kill an Angel



HE: “Boy, the teachers really do care in this town.” Shut up, Joyce!
SHE: Her character has the dumbest lines.
HE: Think Joss is trying to make us want to smack her silly? I sure do feel like it whenever she opens her gob.
SHE: Why don’t you visit hospitals? You’re a teacher.
HE: Why would I want to do that? I don’t like people.




Two-Gun Vampire



HE: Here’s Joyce making with the dopey again. “That school is amazing”
SHE: Wahn wahn wahn waaaaahn.
HE: My god, woman, shut up!

SHE: Not the last time Buffy and Angel go at it in the arena.
HE: “Let’s get it done,” says Angel. Rock on!
SHE: Wouldn’t the fumigation be overpowering?
HE: Well, she’s superhuman, and he doesn’t breathe. You know, this reminds me of the way we fight, what with the crossbows and the punching…
SHE: …then I run you through with a sword…
HE: Good times.


HE: Clearly Angel’s got some serious self-image problems.
SHE: It’s fun to remember for the first time his story about his origins. We’ve seen it over and over, but he never explained it until the seventh episode.
HE: By the way, Buffy, don’t mess with the GYPSIES!
SHE: Heck yeah. They’ll turn you into a sad sack.

HE: Ooh la la, how many skirts does Darla have? Hooray! This one’s red!
SHE: I wish I understood your fixation with that.
HE: If you have to ask, you’ll never know.

SHE: How many guns actually show up in the Buffy series?
HE: Seen or used?
SHE: Used.
HE: Not many. And never again for this duration, I think. Darla really goes to town.
SHE: That’s for sure. “Buffy, it wasn’t Angel who attacked your mom…” “Sorry! Can’t hear you over all the gunfire!”
HE: Definitely an argument for a seven-day waiting period.

SHE: Here Angel stakes Darla. I forgot she got taken out so early.
HE: And she does the hurt double-take: “Angel?” Like it’s such a shocker.
SHE: They were together for generations, though. Oh well. Darla is ded.
HE: For now.




Walk Away…




HE: Look, the Master is all smashy. He’s upset!
SHE: At least he still has the creepy kid.
HE: Ah, look at Collin lead the Master away…it’s like The Courtship of Eddie’s father.
People let me tell you bout my best friend…

HE: Uh oh. She burned him with her crucifix! Didn’t they know it was there?
SHE: There was no smoke.
HE: A smokeless crucifix?
SHE: Dammit, the Japanese beat us again!

Next time: I Robot...You Jane

P.S. a bonus Spike scene from Angel. Hilarious.

No comments: