Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Pack

“The Pack”
8/9/08

In this episode, Xander heeds the call of the wild, gets his glower on, and becomes the second person to sneak up on Buffy twice. You go!

The Hyena’s Call





SHE: Nice barrier to keep the people out of the quarantine.
HE: It says “positively” no admittance. Don’t think they’re not serious!
SHE: Don’t question the zoo’s sincerity.

HE: Nice rainbow on Xander’s sweater. This is consistent with my theory about Xander’s sexuality.
SHE: Oh yes, because he’s a Rainbow Boy.
HE: He’s not too Rainbow Bright, though.

SHE: You know what Xander’s thinking, looking at those hyenas?
HE: What?
SHE: Those hyenas flashed their brights at me!


He's not too Rainbow Bright.
SHE: Scary Xander is kind of sexy.
HE: Brings Vampire Xander of “The Wish” to mind.
SHE: Wait! We haven’t had the opening credits yet? I thought the credits were ages ago.
HE: It was an unusually long opening. They should have had an episode that was entirely pre-opening credits. Then show the opening credits, and then BOOM! closing credits. Grr. Arrgh.




A New Xander



SHE: I think Joss should have left Xander possessed for seven seasons.
HE: You can only have so many bad boys on one show. He’s like a foil to Buffy, an impotent male—
SHE: Heh. You said impotent.
HE: —to her potent female. What are you, eight?

HE: Apparently girls like it when guys look them up and down. Is that true?
SHE: Umm, I’ve never noticed a man looking me up and down except for you.
HE: Well, I am mean and dangerous. Why are you laughing?
SHE: You’re so cute.

HE: Look at the size of that croissant!
SHE: They look yummy
HE: Everything was bigger in the 90’s
SHE: Everything tasted better.

Xander: [Laughs at the rest of the pack making fun of an overweight student. Looks at a horrified Buffy.] Kid’s fat.


HE: Best moment of the episode, in my opinion.
SHE: That was pretty funny.
HE: It’s the way he says it. Like…duh.




The Mascot



HE: Herbert the Pig goes through a lot in this scene.

SHE: That pig is a good actor.
HE: He really had screen presence.
SHE: I was feeling his fear.
HE: I was feeling his shame.
SHE: Xander’s normal shame, or the pig’s shame?
HE: The pig, actually.




Dodge Ball




SHE: I tried to get out as soon as possible during dodgeball.
HE: I never got hit, but someone always managed to catch my dodgeball when I threw.
SHE: I’d always get hit, and the teacher always tried to act upset when the kid standing two feet away got waylaid by the ball.
HE: One time I got hit so hard it turned one side of my face brick red. The other side was pale. I looked like Hel, the Finnish god.
SHE: Really?
HE: You have no idea who that is. Some of these guys were cheating.

SHE: I noticed that too. That and their gym class lasted about 20 seconds.
HE: I saw one who didn’t sit down when dude caught the ball.
SHE: Shame!
HE: What did you think when Xander tagged Willow?
SHE: I think Willow had every right to stomp off mad. She knows she’s being abused.
HE: I think she’s being a baby. It’s dodgeball!
SHE: She knows something’s wrong with Xander. The fact that Xander threw the ball at her hard proves it.
HE: But’s it’s dodgeball!

HE: So they turn on Lance! Who’s on their team.
SHE: I don’t think they really understood the rules of dodgeball.




Let’s Do Lunch



Xander [to Willow]: I won’t have to look at your pasty face again!


SHE: Whitey to whitey, I find her complexion very nice.
HE: Later on though, they make her wear a bronzer.
SHE: Is that related to the clothes thing? They had to make her more fashionable?
HE: I don’t know. That’s your axe to grind.
SHE: It’s not my axe, I just notice.




Something Weird



Did he learn that in hyena school?

HE: I know it’s a stale gimmick, but I love the slow-mo shot of the pack coming up over the stairs.
SHE: Ah, the walk. It’s a classic.
HE: I can’t think where else I’ve seen it. They did it in Old School, but that came a lot later. Did you notice they’re all dressing in black and dark colors?
SHE: He decides to be cool, and therefore also to dress cool. Did he learn that in Hyena School?
HE: When they weren’t teaching geometry?
SHE: He took People Calling.
HE: Probably Advanced Fear Smelling.
SHE: Introductory Preying on the Weak.
HE: Comparative Taunting?

HE: There is a good selection of songs in this episode. They really help set the mood. It reminds me of The Faculty.

SHE: Did I see The Faculty?
HE: It was the one where it turns out all the high school teachers are evil monsters. Sound familiar?
SHE: No.
HE: Then I’m guessing you didn’t see it.

HE: What is a dode patrol?
SHE: I don’t know. I was wondering that, too.
HE: Urban Dictionary, here I come!

[Editor's note: Yikes!]


SHE: Do principals usually bawl out students in clumps?
HE: The smart ones don’t. And never by themselves. Think of it as interviewing suspects. You want to interview them separately in order to—
SHE: Suss out what happened?
HE: That’s right, Spike.




Animal Possession



HE: Giles says that only the most predatory are of interest to animals. That’s an intriguing statement.
SHE: They teased with the picture. I wanted to see the picture.

HE: The picture of what?
SHE: What happens if they don’t repossess the people. I don’t know. Transpossess.
HE: It was probably just another Gustave Dore drawing.
SHE: Just another Dore drawing. Ho hum.




Dangerous & Mean



SHE: Are you keeping score? Xander sneaks up on Buffy again.
HE: Check the counter to the right. Good thing Xander isn’t dangerous.

Xander: You like your men dangerous. Dangerous and mean.


SHE: That’s unfair. We don’t know yet that Angel is mean.
HE: Based on his current activity level, we don’t even know he’s dangerous.
SHE: Odd that he would say that.
HE: Getting ahead of yourself, Xander.

SHE: The more I scare you, the better you smell, says Xander.
HE: Urine smells good to him?
SHE: Boo! I was thinking sweat.


HE: You really have to feel sorry for Flutie when he gets eaten. He’s so clueless.
SHE: It was really kind of unfair. It’s the second faculty person to have died at Sunnydale High.

HE: There’s the science teacher, Dr. Gregory, the one that Buffy liked. I wonder if they riffed his position.
SHE: It was science!
HE: So?




Looking For a Cure



HE: If Xander ripped through the pig cage, why should the library cage hold him?
SHE: I’m not really sure why there would be a cage in the library in the first place.

HE: Maybe they keep their private collection there. Like a secret library stash. I know how you guys are.




Help Me…



HE: Hyena Xander is even more high-strung than regular Xander.
SHE: Poor Willow. Stay alert, stay alive!
HE: So they will track the missing member of their pack? Why aren’t they already at the library? Oh, here they are.
SHE: Cool jump through the window.
HE: The hyenas scream like monkies. They shredded that cage. Do they reinforce it later in the series? A lot of dangerous people got locked up in there.
SHE: Ooh, we should do a cage count.
HE: Okay, Xander’s the first.




Prey of the Pack



Buffy: They’re tough, but they’re getting stupider.


HE: They’re not the only ones.
SHE: There’s a lot of words she could have used instead. Like ignoranter.
HE: Gullibiler.
SHE: If hyenas were part dog, couldn’t Buffy have just used a red rubber ball?
HE: Only if it were attached to a fishing pole with a toy mouse. They’re also part cat.
SHE: You could put catnip in the red rubber ball.
HE: You are a criminal mastermind.

If hyenas were part dog, couldn't Buffy have just used a red rubber ball?

HE: “Of course, Masai ceremonial garb.” Come on, come on…put it together, Giles.
SHE: If Giles gets knocked out again, I think I get BINGO. Didn’t Amy’s mom knock him out, too? Isn’t this knockout #2 for Tweedster?




PredatoryActs



HE: Oh I get it now…the bullies at the beginning were a predatory act and they bogarded the zookeeper’s Hyena spell.
SHE: That’s how it happened. So does Willow offer her wrists to anyone who wants to tie her up?
HE: She’s a lot gullibiler than your average high school student.




The Superior Xander



HE: Xander ate a pig, a raw pig. That’s a tough one to get over.
SHE: I think Xander is faking not remembering, and yes! he is.

HE: I want to know what the heck kind of hat is Buffy wearing. Is she on her way to a liquor store holdup?
SHE: I thought she had turned into a cat burglar.

HE: “Your secret dies with me,” says Giles. I wish that shirt would die with you, Xander.
SHE: Why would Giles choose to keep a secret for Xander?
HE: I think that Giles would probably just groan or roll his eyes and walk away from him.

Next time: “Angel”

No comments: